Wednesday, February 25, 2009

reaction to Peer post




In the beginning chapter of Their Eyes were Watching God, I would like to agree with Katie that Hurston uses such language that is so well written. My favorite line in chapter one, is also a line that Katie mentioned, it was “An envious heart makes a treacherous ear” (5). This line could not have been said better any other way. People who are jealous of others tend to pin point the flaws in others. This statement does show reality in so many ways, like Katie has mentioned. I personally like this line from the story because as I sat there and read it, a million different situations were flying through my head. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat down and listened to others say this and that about someone else. In reality this person talking about someone else is very jealous of the other person. I think that this line really gets through to readers the type of situation Hurston was trying to explain.

Another point that Katie brought up was stereotyping. When I was reading this line, I honestly had no thoughts of stereotyping crossing through my mind. But now that she has mentioned it, I see where she is coming from, but I don’t necessarily agree with the fact that this line proves the stereotype of blacks false. I do agree that “An envious heart makes a treacherous ear” is an intelligent statement, but just because she says one thing intelligently does that really make her intelligent? Does that really make all blacks intelligent just because she said one thing intelligent? For all we know she could have overheard someone else say it and she just reiterated the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment